This is a fantastic, easy cake made with apple sauce and spices. The apples on top are beautiful and add a bit of flavor and texture, but if you're pressed for time, you can just add the brown sugar topping mixed with 1/4 tsp cinnamon. I've served this for brunch and brought it to friends as a dessert. It's a small thin cake, but the recipe is easily doubled. I use Bob's Red Mill White Rice Flour for a nice light texture.
Gluten Free Rum and Spice Apple Tart
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 2 T melted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp rum extract
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1/2 Tablespoon baking powder
- Combine all ingredients.
- Pour into a 9″ round cake pan lined with parchment paper.
- Top with apple slices.
- Bake at 400F for 12-15 mins or until top springs back when lightly touched. Remove from oven and sprinkle with 2 T brown sugar.
- Return to oven until sugar begins to melt (about 2 mins).
- 1/2 apple, cored, peeled and thinly slices
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Combine slices, sugar, juice and cinnamon in a ziplock bag and lightly massage to coat slices.
- Lay slices on cake before baking.