I love a muffin with lots of texture and fruit. These grain free toffee apple muffins are softened with apple sauce, sweetened with maple syrup and loaded with apples and raisins.
My grandparents used to eat homemade muffins every day for breakfast. It was my grandmother that showed me how one muffin recipe could really make hundreds of different types of muffins. She was the one who explained that the more fruit you added, the more leavening you’d need. More baking soda meant a fluffier fruity muffin. I made alot of muffins as a teenager and when I went gluten free, I discovered that Grandma’s Rules for Making Muffins still applied. This muffin is made from coconut flour, and you’ll find that the recipe is really similar to my Grain Free Raisin Bran Muffin and Grain Free Pumpkin Muffin. There’s lots and lots of fruit here, so you’re going to get alot of muffins. If you live in a warm climate, keep them in the fridge, for some reason, coconut flour muffins don’t keep well on my counter in Baton Rouge.
Grain Free Toffee Apple Muffins with Coconut Flour
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup melted butter, cooled
- 1/4 cup flax meal
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1T vanilla
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- Optional: 1/4 cup sugar
- 2/3 cups raisins
- 2 small apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 1/2 cup + 2T (for tops of muffins) toffee chips
- 1T caramel sauce per muffin (optional)
- Combine eggs, butter, flax meal, coconut flour, baking soda, vanilla, maple syrup, apple sauce and sugar (if using) in a bowl and mix on med-high with an electric mixer until smooth and thick.
- Fold in raisins, apples and toffee chips.
- Spoon into lined muffin tins.
- Bake at 325 for 25 minutes or until the tops spring back and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- (Optional) Upon removing from oven, top with caramel sauce.
- Let cool completely, and enjoy.
Looking for more Grain Free Muffins?
Remember! We’re partying all month on Freedible.com!!
I’ve linked up with Vegetarian Mamma’s Gluten Free Fridays.
Thanks for visiting! I’d love to keep in touch! Click on the cupcakes to connect with me on social media.