Taking a lunch to work or school is one of the biggest gluten free struggles. If you have access to a microwave it’s easier, you can take left-overs from the night before. But what if you don’t? Or what if you’re going to an event and you know the food will be full of gluten and you want to bring your own?
My friend Joyce introduced me to this fast and easy chickpea salad that has the flavor of that pasta salad your mom used to make for picnics. I used tomatoes, cucumbers and green onions for the vegetables, but you can use whatever you have on hand, even left-over cold broccoli or asparagus.
Brown Bag Lunch Chickpea Salad
click here to download a printable recipe
- 2 cups of cooked or canned chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 cup vegetables chopped to chickpea size
- 1/2 cup gluten free Italian Dressing (or see dressing recipe below)
- salt to taste
- Place chickpeas and vegetables in a large bowl
- Add salad dressing and stir gently to combine
- Place in serving size plastic dishes with lids to take for lunch
- Eat at lunch
Fast Salad Dressing
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning or 1/4 cup very finely chopped fresh herbs of choice