Tofu Parmesan is an easy, tasty, vegetarian dish. I love this gluten free version with marinara sauce and rice stick noodles.
How do you feed a gluten free vegetarian? I’m not really sure. Since going gluten free, my diet has been mostly plant and animal based. Not a whole lot of legumes. Never tofu. So when my oldest daughter became a vegetarian, I was pretty sure she was going to starve. Thankfully, she’s very creative, and came up with (among other things) this beautiful Tofu Parmesan recipe to go alongside our Chicken Parmesan. It’s actually really good! Like, good enough to eat because you want to, and not just because you have to. Tofu is easy to cook. You do need to press it ahead of time to get the water out, and I’d advise that you buy an actual tofu press and follow the directions on it. I personally just squash it for a couple of hours under a cutting board loaded down with pots and cans, but that’s a bit of a messy hassle. After it’s drained, though, it’s super easy to cook with. You really just need to heat it through. For the Tofu Parmesan, it’s going to cook faster and crisp up on the bottom, so flip it over after about 15 minutes so the top will get crispy as well.
Gluten Free Tofu Parmesan
- 1 block extra firm tofu
- 1 T Italian seasoning
- 1 T red wine vinegar
- 1/2T minced garlic
- 1 egg, beaten in a bowl
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese in a separate bowl
- Mozzarella cheese to top, if desired.
- Drain and press tofu and cut into cubes.
- Place cubes of tofu into Ziplock bag with Italian seasoning, red wine vinegar and garlic.
- Massage bag gently until tofu is coated and let sit at least 30 minutes.
- Dip tofu cubes in the egg and roll in Parmesan cheese.
- Place on a parchment lined cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 15 minutes.
- Flip cubes over and bake for another 15 minutes or until both sides are browned and crispy.
- If desired, top with Mozzarella cheese and return to oven until cheese is melted.
This post is linked up at Poor and Gluten Free’s Waste Not Want Not Wednesday, Vegetarian Mamma’s Gluten Free Fridays
Thanks for visiting! Click on a cupcake to connect with me on social media!