Things have been a little busy here lately! They’re starting to slow down, but I’m finding that my time in the kitchen has been seriously reduced. As much as I love baking and cooking all day, I’ve really needed to put it on the back burner (ha!). So I’m on the hunt for quick (super quick) and easy meals. In my gluten eating days I used to make that easy Campbell’s Soup chicken and rice bake. You might have tried it. I’ve discovered a few recipes for a chicken and rice bake online, but they all start with canned gluten-filled soup. A couple of weeks ago, I decided to try my own version. Super easy. And the ingredients are easily substituted. You can use leftover cooked chicken or raw boneless chicken cut in to chunks, or even chickpeas! If you don’t have broth on hand, you could substitute lightly salted water. You can use whatever type of chopped vegetable you like and change the seasoning. (This is sortof Italinany but you could try bell peppers with McCormick’s Chili Powder for a Tex Mex taste). If you’re dairy free, leave off the cheese. It’ really just there for decoration anyway.
Hope you enjoy this!!
Gluten Free Chicken Rice Bake
- 1 cup uncooked white long grain rice
- 2 cups broth or lightly salted water
- 1 lb raw boneless skinless chicken chopped into 1" pieces or cooked leftover chicken or 1 can chickpeas drained
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1 Chopped tomato
- 1/2 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/4 cup shredded Italian cheese blend
- Combine all ingredients except cheese in a 2.5qt or larger casserole dish with a lid.
- Cover and bake at 400F for 45 minutes to 1 hour (or until liquid is gone, rice is soft and chicken is cooked, cooking times may vary depending on the size and shape of your dish so peek at it after 30 minutes)
- Remove from oven and top with cheese, replace lid and let rest out of the oven for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.