We had company last night. It was way too hot to cook so we ordered McDonald’s for some; but for me, and everyone else who wanted, I made salad.
This salad was inspired by my craving for spaghetti coupled with my heat induced laziness. I had some left-over grilled chicken, tomatoes, cucumbers and onions. For the noodles I used individually packaged mung bean vermicelli (because you can soften it with hot tap water- no cooking), one pack per person, but you can use rice vermicelli instead, about 2oz or about 1/2 cup per person.(Unless you’re starving. Then throw in as many noodles as you want. No exact measurements here.)
I called it a Greek salad because I happened to have feta cheese in the fridge and some of it ended up in the salad. (And maybe I ate the rest with my fingers.)
This would be amazing with black beans, so if you want to make it vegan, substitute black beans for the chicken and leave out the feta.
Chicken Noodle Greek Salad
Click here to download a printable recipe.
- Mung bean vermicelli, about 1/2 cup per person
- Cold chicken, sliced, or canned black beans, drained and rinsed, about 1/4 cup per person
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- l large cucumber, seeded and chopped
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/4 cup red wine or rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Greek seasoning or your favorite dried herbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Feta cheese
- Cook noodles according to package directions and divide evenly into bowls.
- Place slices of chicken in a line down the center of the noodles.
- Combine chopped vegetables, vinegar, oil, herbs, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Spoon vegetables over noodles on either side of the chicken.
- Add feta cheese to taste