My house is populated by health conscious teens and I was scolded for my flagrant butter abuse in my coconut flour cupcakes. This morning I made a lower fat version and they turned out to be just as tasty! I replaced the 1/2 cup butter with 1/4 cup coconut oil and 1/2 cup apple sauce. My main victim taste tester, the 3 year old, also approved.
I made a big batch for the twins’ sweet 16 so the 3 year old would have a lower sugar snack than the gluten-free cake mix cupcakes, and I would have a lower energy 3 year old. Sissy decorated 3 year old’s cupcakes with little fondant shapes and I frosted them with pink cream cheese icing so that they would be as pretty as the big kids.
Lower Fat Coconut Flour Cupcakes
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 T vanilla
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Spoon by 1/4 cups into a lined muffin tin.
- Bake at 350F for 10-12 minutes or until the tops are golden and spring back when lightly touched.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 block cream cheese, softened
- 2/3 cup marshmallow fluff
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2-3 drops red food coloring (optional)
- Mix ingredients together in a bowl, frosting will be slightly runny.
- When cupcakes are still warm, spoon about 1 tablespoon of frosting over each, smoothing slightly with the back of a spoon to ensure even coverage.