This caramel uses only 2 ingredients and is done completely on the stove.
Just sweetened condensed milk and peanut butter!
You just pour two cans of sweetened condensed milk into a sauce pan, bring it to a slow boil over medium-low stirring constantly, until it’s nice and thick and bubbly (like a thick cake batter). (This step is easy, but it takes FOREVER)
Thick and bubbly
Then remove it from heat and stir in a cup of peanut butter.
Stir in the peanut butter
Pour it into a parchment lined cake pan and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
Caramel in a pan
This caramel is really hard to mess up. Even if you slightly burn the bottom and have little brown flakes floating around in it, you just end up with a bit more of a marshmallow flavor caramel.
Photo enlarged to show brown flakes.
I almost called this Idiot Proof Peanut Butter Caramel. Every single other sweet thing I’ve tried to make this week has resulted in a total inedible failure, but I was actually able to make this one work. Twice. I can’t in good faith call it totally idiot proof, because the caramel gets really hot and an idiot might scoop the hot caramel off the spoon with her finger and then pop her burning finger into her mouth. (Not that I’m speaking from experience or anything. Ouch.)
So, a more appropriate title might be Super Easy But You Might Burn Yourself Peanut Butter Caramel.
Gluten Free Peanut Butter Caramel
Click here to download a printable recipe.
- 2 14oz (397g) cans of sweetened condensed milk like Eagle Brand
- 1 Cup of peanut butter
- Pour sweetened condensed milk into a sauce pan
- Stirring constantly, bring to a slow boil over medium-low heat
- Heat until milk is light brown in color and as thick as a thick cake mix
- Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter
- Pour candy into a parchment lined cake pan
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours, candy will firm up but will still be soft