The quest for the perfect gluten free bread continues today with the weirdest bread I’ve ever heard of. The original recipe calls for just cream cheese and eggs. I added tiny bits of a couple of things, potato flour, baking powder and a bit of sugar, mostly because I have trust issues and cream cheese and eggs just seemed bound for failure. The result is a soft, almost cake-like, buttery flat-bread. Amazing plain, but would also be perfect if you like a sweeter bread for your sandwiches, I think it would be perfect for something salty like thinly sliced ham. (Although, last night I ate a piece wrapped around a scoop of ice cream.) This recipe only makes 8 smallish pieces, so if you have a big family like ours, or you want leftovers, you should probably double it.
Gluten Free Flat-Bread
Click here for a printable recipe: Gluten Free Flat-Bread
- 4 eggs separated
- 1/2 block cream cheese (softened) – that’s 4oz of cream cheese
- 1T sugar
- 1T baking powder
- 2T potato flour
- 1 pinch salt
- Beat egg whites until they form soft peaks.
- Add sugar and continue beating until peaks are stiff and shiny. Set aside.
- Beat egg yolks, cream cheese, baking powder and salt until smooth.
- Carefully fold in egg whites.
- Place 6-8 equal rounds on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350F for 7-10 minutes or until tops are golden brown.
- Let cool on tray completely before serving.
I’ve linked this post with Vegetarian Mamma’s amazing Gluten Free Fridays. It’s a great resource for gluten free recipes and blogs. You should check it out.
Thanks for visiting! I’d love to connect!